[TechAssist] Re: Windows XP Question.

  • From: Bil Green <magpulser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "gulftech@xxxxxxxx" <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 17:37:24 -0800

I was just being sarcastic, but since you said people don't have
a clue, here's the instructions.

Almost every single PC I work on has dozens of programs running
when  Windows starts. So don't feel bad. Nobody has a clue.

DISABLE MOST PROGRAMS THAT RUN WHEN WINDOWS STARTS

THEY TEND TO USE UP TOO MUCH MEMORY. CLUTTER UP YOUR SYSTEM TRAY
(clock area) AND SOME HAVE ANNOYING POP UP MESSAGES

1. Start - Run - type: MSCONFIG - press Enter

2. Click "Startup" and "disable" all of the startup items.

3. Then check any one that contains the name of your antivirus
(the company which produces Norton is named Symantec)

4. Also check the firewall, and any wireless devices you may have

5. If you're not sure of the name of your wireless device place
the mouse cursor on top of each icon near the clock and observe
the name which is displayed.

6. When through click "OK" and when the message pops up that asks
if you want to reboot now, you can reboot later if you want.

7. And when you boot up the next time uncheck the reminder
message which appears so it won't be displayed again.

Printers and most other hardware programs do not need to be
running all the time (and you can always go back to "Startup" and
recheck any item. So it's OK if you make a mistake.

Bil

PC 1000
M-Pulse 5000 magnetic pulse generator
http://magpulser.com
Mammoth Lakes, CA
760-924-1000

mailto:magpulser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

gjc> Bil,

gjc> Some of us have no clue.

gjc> Some know how and do it.

gjc> Then there is me.  I know how, but don't know when.  I have had to
gjc> disable my AV program a few times, but do it only when directed by
gjc> someone who knows when it must be done.

gjc> Most of us have enough trouble learning TV's to make a living, and use
gjc> the computer as necessary.  Don't have time (or the guts) to try
gjc> something that might cause trouble.  If only days would last longer...

gjc> Kenneth Smith
gjc> Gulf Technical Services
gjc> 3034 Gulf Breeze Parkway
gjc> Gulf Breeze, FL  32563
gjc> 850-934-8324 (Voice) 850-932-0819 (Fax)

gjc> On Thu, 9 Feb 2006 12:22:58 -0800 Bil Green <magpulser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
gjc> writes:
>> Don't any of you guys know how to disable the programs that run
>> when Windows starts?
>>
>> Bil
>>
>> PC 1000
>> M-Pulse 5000 magnetic pulse generator
>> http://magpulser.com
>> Mammoth Lakes, CA
>> 760-924-1000
>>
>> mailto:magpulser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>
>> TTE> Jim;
>> TTE> I found the same thing. Too obtrusive.
>> TTE> Was always popping up and telling me things I could change
>> things for the
>> TTE> better. Got tired of defragging my drive 3 times a day.
>> TTE> But it is a good program to look at the inner workings, and
>> sped up my
>> TTE> computer by about 50%.
>>
>> TTE> Now I presume there are probably settings to tell it what to
>> monitor and not
>> TTE> monitor....but I use Norton System Works, and found it may be a
>> little
>> TTE> redundant to use both.
>>
>> TTE> I would suggest...try the program for the 30 day free trial,
>> and decide for
>> TTE> yourself.
>>
>> TTE> -Ed-
>> TTE> E. Gaidies
>> TTE> Tel-Tek Electronics
>> TTE> Ontario-Canada
>> TTE> teltek3@xxxxxxxxxxxx

gjc> http://pc-system-utilities-software-review.toptenreviews.com/advanced-sys
gjc> tem

>> "page not
>> TTE> found"
>> found"

gjc> -
>> TTE> ---
>> search
>> TTE> engines. Remove: http://www.tech-assist.org/remove.htm
>> TTE>
>> mailto:ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=set%20techassist%20vacation
>> Problems?".

gjc> -------------------------------------------------------------------------
gjc> -
>> TTE> ---
>> search
>> TTE> engines. Remove: http://www.tech-assist.org/remove.htm
>> TTE>
>> mailto:ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=set%20techassist%20vacation
>> Problems?".

gjc> -------------------------------------------------------------------------
gjc> ----
>> TTE> This Email List is accessible to the general public through
>> search engines. Remove: http://www.tech-assist.org/remove.htm
>> TTE> Set Vacation
>> mailto:ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=set%20techassist%20vacation
>> TTE> Lost Password: http://www.tech-assist.org  and select "Login
>> Problems?".
>> TTE> Email Archives: //www.freelists.org/archives/techassist/
>>

>> Thursday, February 9, 2006, 9:41:45 AM, you wrote:

gjc> -------------------------------------------------------------------------
gjc> ----
>> This Email List is accessible to the general public through search
>> engines. Remove: http://www.tech-assist.org/remove.htm
>> Set Vacation
>> mailto:ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=set%20techassist%20vacation
>> Lost Password: http://www.tech-assist.org  and select "Login
>> Problems?".
>> Email Archives: //www.freelists.org/archives/techassist/

gjc>
gjc> This Email List is accessible to the general public through search
gjc> Set Vacation
gjc> Lost Password: http://www.tech-assist.org  and select "Login Problems?".
gjc> Email Archives: //www.freelists.org/archives/techassist/