[TechAssist] Re: Windows 2000 pro problem

  • From: Bil Green <tv.vcrrepair@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wolfe-mcse@xxxxxxx" <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 10:00:52 -0800

Are you saying don't just "Ghost" your system if you have Windows 2000?
Most of us have no idea what you are saying here. On the TV repair
lists and various computer help forums I have read a lot of reports of
using Ghost and other imaging software successfully and almost no talk
relating to your discussion (below).

--
Best regards,
 Bil                            mailto:tv.vcrrepair@xxxxxxxxxxx

Wednesday, October 30, 2002, 6:48:18 PM, you wote:

wmen> Howdy...

wmen> This is sound advice, but there are a few problems with this, and there
are
wmen> some answers.

wmen> Windows 2000 uses a GUID, which is created using several serial numbers
from
wmen> different components in the system, which includes the hard drive, video
wmen> card, motherboard, and more before running it through a 2-part algorithm,
wmen> which cannot be easily reverse calculated.

wmen> The second problem is if you wish to use this image on a different system
wmen> that is not a Compaq Evo W6000.  It simply comes down to that the drivers
wmen> are different, and there is even a driver for the CPU!  Thereby it would
wmen> only be good for a Compaq Evo W6000 system.

wmen> Now the Norton Ghost image would be good for THIS specific system with all
wmen> of the GUIDs intact.  There is an utility provided by Microsoft that you
can
wmen> use on a system to wipe the GUIDs before ghosting it with a 3rd party
wmen> utility, such as Nortons Ghost, but I have never used it.

wmen> In addition to this, Microsoft has included its own ghosting image
solution,
wmen> which does not require you to use the GUID wipe beforehand, but I cannot
wmen> recall the name of it off the top of my head.  Now should someone intend
wmen> use it, I can look it up, and send you the details.

wmen> Now you know why MCSEs have those letters after their name :).

wmen> Wolfe Strickland, MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CompTIA A+

wmen> -----Original Message-----
wmen> From: techassist-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
wmen> [mailto:techassist-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Bil Green
wmen> Sent: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 8:24 PM
wmen> To: Tri-County Tv
wmen> Subject: [TechAssist] Re: Windows 2000 pro problem

wmen> Hi Thomas,

wmen> When you get Windows working perfectly save an image of the whole
wmen> partition using Norton Ghost or Drive Image. Next time you have a
wmen> hard to fix problem just format Windows and restore the image -
wmen> Like nothin every happened.

wmen> I would make at least two images, just in case and ONLY on a second
wmen> hard drive if at all possible. When your HD goes south you'll be
wmen> glad you did. BTW Ghost took me only a few minutes to restore 5GB.

wmen> Disconnect the power to the second drive when you are through
wmen> (viruses; power supply failure can damage a drive).

wmen> You may also want to use Partition Magic, Paragon Drive Backup [does
wmen> imaging and cloning and much more - forgot to mention this program]).

wmen> --
wmen> Best regards,
wmen>  Bil                            mailto:tv.vcrrepair@xxxxxxxxxxx

wmen> To REMOVE your email address, click here:
wmen>   http://www.tech-assist.org/unsubb.html
wmen> To CHANGE your email address, click here:
wmen>   http://www.techassist.net/forms/change.html
wmen> ***NEW*** Tips Added Instantly!!!***
wmen> Submit Repair Tips here:
wmen> http://www.tech-assist.org/secure/tip/