[TechAssist] Re: Windows 2000 pro problem

  • From: <wolfe-mcse@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 20:48:18 -0600

Howdy...

This is sound advice, but there are a few problems with this, and there are
some answers.

Windows 2000 uses a GUID, which is created using several serial numbers from
different components in the system, which includes the hard drive, video
card, motherboard, and more before running it through a 2-part algorithm,
which cannot be easily reverse calculated.

The second problem is if you wish to use this image on a different system
that is not a Compaq Evo W6000.  It simply comes down to that the drivers
are different, and there is even a driver for the CPU!  Thereby it would
only be good for a Compaq Evo W6000 system.

Now the Norton Ghost image would be good for THIS specific system with all
of the GUIDs intact.  There is an utility provided by Microsoft that you can
use on a system to wipe the GUIDs before ghosting it with a 3rd party
utility, such as Nortons Ghost, but I have never used it.

In addition to this, Microsoft has included its own ghosting image solution,
which does not require you to use the GUID wipe beforehand, but I cannot
recall the name of it off the top of my head.  Now should someone intend to
use it, I can look it up, and send you the details.

Now you know why MCSEs have those letters after their name :).

Wolfe Strickland, MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CompTIA A+