[TechAssist] Re: Windows 2000 pro problem

  • From: Bil Green <tv.vcrrepair@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tri-County Tv <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 18:24:08 -0800

Hi Thomas,

When you get Windows working perfectly save an image of the whole
partition using Norton Ghost or Drive Image. Next time you have a
hard to fix problem just format Windows and restore the image -
Like nothin every happened.

I would make at least two images, just in case and ONLY on a second
hard drive if at all possible. When your HD goes south you'll be
glad you did. BTW Ghost took me only a few minutes to restore 5GB.

Disconnect the power to the second drive when you are through
(viruses; power supply failure can damage a drive).

You may also want to use Partition Magic, Paragon Drive Backup [does
imaging and cloning and much more - forgot to mention this program]).

--
Best regards,
 Bil                            mailto:tv.vcrrepair@xxxxxxxxxxx

Wednesday, October 30, 2002, 4:56:37 PM, you wote:

TCT> Hi all,
TCT>          My Compaq Evo W6000 running windows 2000pro will after being on
for about 18 hours , will not let me open any programs , you click on something
but nothing happens, then if I try to
TCT> shut it down by using the  start->shut down-> menu, it tells me I do not
have permission , so I hit "ctrl,alt,del and a menu comes up that lets me shut
down the computer--It's like after it's on
TCT> for awhile it forgets that I(the administrator) is logged on. I must
restart the computer for it to act normal again.