[TechAssist] Re: WinSTIPS

  • From: "OrpheusComputing.com Repair" <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 00:37:00 -0600

Webferret use to the best by far.  It useD almost 40 search
engines.  Unfortunately, the jerks have destroyed that
program, even the Pro version.  It only uses 11 or 12 SE's
now, plus every link it finds that you click on, opens an add
banner page!  Not the URL you want to go to that the program
found, but some idiotic oddball URL from an add company.  The
whole left side of the page is an add and you cannot get rid
of it for several seconds.  I can't believe those people
destroyed such a great product.  Doesn't matter if you had
the pro version from years back before they destroyed it
because as soon as you install it and run it, it 'updates'
itself and that removes most of the engines and adds the add
banner pages.

If you use it NOW Chaz, I'd be interested in knowing if they
are still at less than a dozen engines and if you still have
to put up with the screwed up URL's and adds.

I have been forced to use copernic now.  I does have TONS
more search engines, but unlike webferret, you can't use all
of them at the same time.  It is also VERY painfully s-l-o-w
and even the pro version adds the annoying add banner in the
window.  You CAN crack that and get rid of it, but every time
the program updates itself it adds the banner back and you
have to do the registry hack again to eliminate the banner.
The pro version is a trial, but they do have a free version
at their site.
-Clint

God Bless Us All
Clint Hamilton, Owner
http://OrpheusComputing.com
http://ComputerHardware-ConsumerElectronics.com
sales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Fax: 209-882-9602
TechAssist Administration
http://tech-assist.org
techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
4orpheus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx  (alternates)
orpheuscomputing@xxxxxxxxx
(PLEASE include our previous correspondence
if replying to this email!!)

From:           Gary McCartney <number63@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To:             techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Send reply to:  techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

> I have a buddy who has Copernic but I thought he said it
was not free so
> I never bothered with it. I will check it out. Thank you.
I do use
> Dogpile and Metacrawler which both are multi search
engines, but so far
> I've found that Google has almost all the sites that these
others have
> combined.
>

> Gary
>

> woodwart wrote:
> >
> > Have You tried copernic this links a whole mess of
engines including google
> > I use it all the time and the best part it's free
> >  http://www.copernic.com/
> > Good luck
> > Tom
> >
> > Gary McCartney wrote:
> >
> > > Al, which Gary are you refering to as the guru? If it
is me, thanks but
> > > I actually have no experience with search engines other
than using ones
> > > like Google. I have seen on the net however, search
engines that you can
> > > incorporate into your own software or web sites. Now
hacking, I like to
> > > tinker with a bit. Had a few successes but nothing
major.

> > > Yes, I agree that Jeff is doing a great job with his
Tech repair cd.

> > > Does the Winstips trial version allow full operation of
the program and
> > > access to all the tips?
> > >
> > > Gary McCartney
> > >
> > > McCartney Electronics