[TechAssist] Re: When do TVs implode?

  • From: larry <schntv@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 10:05:40 -0500

I have seen a few crt s implode.
I was trying to remove a mounting bracket from an old crt, and
pried on it too hard.
I had set a cardboard box over the tube, because I suspected
it could be dangerous, and thought it might save a mess from
happening.
up to this time I was beginning to think the were not
dangerous, after braking many in at the dumster, and seeing
nothing exciting happen.
This time the tube went boom, and lifted the box off and threw
glass all over the shop,  very small pieces and larger ones.
I now have much more respect for the CRT dangers.
I thank god, I was not injured.
I could have been blinded at the very least.
I still don't see how this could cause a fire though, unless
the flying glass would cause a short to occur somewhere, and
the fuse was not in the circuit.
I guess freak things do happen.

BCNU,
Larry

Philstv@xxxxxxx wrote:

> My Dad had his own business since the time I was born, and I've been in
> business 22 years making that total of 46 years and have yet to see a CRT
> implode. I've seen CRT's split from the banding strap being too tight while
> working for RCA Service back in the late 70's. I've had the neck sheared off
> from a picture hanging on the wall fall down behind the set. I have thrown
> rocks at the face of dude tubes that RCA didn't require back under warranty,
> just the neck with serial number and none of this caused implosion. I have
> heard stories of them doing just this from some of the older tech's at RCA,
> but all of them were from black & white tubes.
>
> Phil@Phil's TV & VCR
> 34651 Ford Road
> Westland.MI. 48185
> 734-728-5925
> www.philstv.com

Schneider TV & Electronic Inc.
5415 N. Wooster ave.
Dover, Ohio 44622       www.geocities.com/schntv2000/
330-343-0768         FCC. first class & Extra class K8WLY
Submit A Repair Tip For Everyone Here: