[TechAssist] Re: When do TVs implode?

  • From: "Electric Medic" <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 22:35:12 -0500

I don't know about TV's imploding, but..fires, yes. I know for a fact that a
PTV with a leaking crt will cause a blaze, even with the set off and just
plugged in. We had one in our shop about a year ago that fluid had seeped on
the convergence board, and while we were just sitting there we saw a blaze
break out through the vent holes in back of the set. It burnt the yoke wire
all the way down to bare metal, totally destroyed the convergence board, and
blackened the inside of the housing before we put the fire out. Had we not
been at the shop there would have been trouble. And keep in mind sometimes
these sets are pushed back up against curtains, and it doesn't take much for
the fire to spread through those vent holes. I had the manufacturer come
down and inspect the set and everything. There was even a article published
in a newsletter with pictures. So now we unplug all sets before we leave the
shop. There must be something to standby voltages and fluid that does not
mix. This was not a little smoke, this was flames. Another Manufacturer even
sent letters to their customers about fire risk and leaking CRT's, I know
because we read many of those, and modified many. Beware. I saw it first
hand.

Perry Bower
Electric Medic
"It's Cheaper to Keep Her"
http://www.electricmedic.com
Check out the Electronic Repair Screensaver We created. More Images to come!
To download these Collections you must first install the Eyetide Viewer:
http://www.eyetide.com/download/?s=O3OfmSLHXygGHCv1W6Gz3Bgjtq3DNNMNdcKsYSVGC
"We're Number One Where it Really Counts, With our Customers"
3850 Washington Road  Suite 5b
Martinez, Georgia 30907
Phone: 706-8MEDIC4  (863-3424)
Phone: 706-863-3474
Fax: 706-863-2316
mailto:info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"WE REPAIR WITH CARE"

SERVICE CENTERS PLEASE READ!!
1. Are you currently backed up or over-loaded?
2. Are you short a tech or have one on vacation?
3. Do you need help with a very difficult repair?
4. Would you like to make money jobbing the work out?
5. Would you like to ship out less profitable products so you can repair
others?
If you answered Yes to any of the above questions, Checkout these websites:
http://www.electricmedic.com/salesa.htm
or
http://www.electricmedic.com/shipping.htm

Factory Trained Authorized Service Center For:  APEX, Fisher, GE, KEC/KTV,
Konka, Mitsubishi, Panasonic, Philips Magnavox, Pioneer, ProSCAN, RCA,
Samsung, Sanyo, Sharp, SONY, Technics, Toshiba, Zenith

Provide Extended care for: AON, Circuit City, GE Contracts, Glass Agency,
Philips Contracts, NEW, Rex