[TechAssist] Re: Videochipher 2 satellite descrambler- how to change the battery?

  • From: wa4fty@xxxxxxx
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 19:50:41 +0000

Gary, My name is Wayne Frazier, Tv Service Company, Lexington, S.C.. Perhaps
I can help with a few answers on the VC 2 unit. In fact your asking the
question brought to mind I need to address my unit battery. You will have to
gain access to the battery and no matter what.... you need not worry about
exchange. What ever method you use will void any exchange potential. You need
to solder a battery in place of the old one and after doing so cut the old
battery out. Do not cut the old battery out and then solder in a new one. As
for new modules I think they are available but just as you I have not needed
to find out. I think you know if the battery goes down the unit it will be
worthless. As for having the unit up and running during battery change... I
would do just that and be carefull. Thanks for the awakening.  Wayne

> I have a used Videocipher 2 descrambler which was made in 1990. It still
> works but I need to change the battery in it before the module goes
> brain dead. What is the best method of doing this? Can I simply bridge
> the new battery across and solder the leads on, then snip out the old
> battery, or will this somehow risk having a glitch occur and messing up
> the programming? Maybe it would be better to have the module plugged in
> while changing the battery? Also, how can I change the battery without
> voiding the exchange value of the unit? Can I cut a hole in the case
> above the battery just large enough to do my job, or will any tampering
> void the unit as far as exchanging it for a new one if it goes
> defective? Are new modules even available anymore?
>

> Thanks for any help.
> --
>

> Gary McCartney
>
> McCartney Electronics