[TechAssist] Videochipher 2 satellite descrambler- how to change the battery?

  • From: Gary McCartney <gary@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 12:53:48 -0400

I have a used Videocipher 2 descrambler which was made in 1990. It still
works but I need to change the battery in it before the module goes
brain dead. What is the best method of doing this? Can I simply bridge
the new battery across and solder the leads on, then snip out the old
battery, or will this somehow risk having a glitch occur and messing up
the programming? Maybe it would be better to have the module plugged in
while changing the battery? Also, how can I change the battery without
voiding the exchange value of the unit? Can I cut a hole in the case
above the battery just large enough to do my job, or will any tampering
void the unit as far as exchanging it for a new one if it goes
defective? Are new modules even available anymore?

Thanks for any help.
--

Gary McCartney

McCartney Electronics