[TechAssist] Toshiba TP55F80 (TAC9678 chassis) hard shutdown

  • From: "Gemini Computer & TV" <geminitv@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Techassist" <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 07:05:11 -0400

I have a customer with a Toshiba TP55F80 that has a hard shutdown problem. I
am not a Toshiba ASC so I seldom see these and therefore not too familiar
with them and also have no service literature. The set may run between a
minute to 15 or 20 minutes with no noticeable symptoms and then it
completely shuts down with the power LED continously flashing. If an
immediate attempt to restart it is performed, the LED goes solid red for a
few seconds and then begins flashing again (no high voltage is heard coming
up). The set must be unplugged and then it will restart before beginning
this pattern again. I did remove all boards and found numerous bad solder
connections including the daughter boards. I also replaced capacitors C840,
C842, C853, and C856 in the power supply. Since it is a hard shutdown, I am
suspecting the flyback or high voltage block. Can anyone more familiar with
these give me their advice and also a service manual might be helpful as
well? Also, can someone give the correct part numbers for the flyback and
H/V block? Here are the markings from the components inside the set:

Flyback - TFB3078AD

H/V Block - TPA5007

Tritronics shows the H/V Block as a "capacitor block" with part number
24082877. They show the flyback as a TFB3078ZD (not "AD") with part #
23236508.

Bob Waterman, CET® #RI-28
Master Technician License #9109
Service Manager / Parts Manager