[TechAssist] Re: Toshiba TP50F61, EXT speaker damage

  • From: "C&W Electronics" <c_w_electronics@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 18:25:48 -0600

Jeff,
Many customers don't tell you that the set is useing "shared" speakers, and
I'll bet that is what happened. This will blow the audio ckt. The amp to the
"shared" speakers does not have to be ON to damage the audio ckt. The amp
usually does not have an isolated chassis. I have ran into this several
times. The mfg even have put lables on the speaker outputs to try and
prevent this from happening, but it doesn't help, the customer knows best!

Good hunting.
Paul W
C&W Electronics

From: "Jeff Dougherty" <jeff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [TechAssist] Toshiba TP50F61, EXT speaker damage
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 00:00:11 -0500

Hello,
I received a call from the previous customer. It seems now they hooked
external speakers up to this PTV and now the set will not come on, or if
it does, there is no audio/video.
I always figured the only way to damage these was if there was an AMP
hooked up and it was too powerful. Could the speakers have damaged this
set if the wires were reversed? If so, would it take out the video,
also?
I appreciate all opinions.
Thank you.

Jeff