[TechAssist] Re: Sylvania(Funai) WSSC192 combo..33v zener shorts

  • From: "Jerome Silverman" <greentron@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 01:58:26 -0400

The zener is an overvoltage protector. The SMPS is not regulating so the
output voltage is going too high and the zener is just doing its job.
Usually a tough one like this turns out to be a resistor, diode,
transistor, or some other part that is not easily tested in circuit.
Sometimes I have to figure out if the feedback problem is in the primary or
secondary. The easiest way to do this is with an adjustable bench DC supply
and an ohm meter. I hook the ohm meter across the optoisolator on the
primary side and apply an adjustable DC voltage to the secondary DC output
line that operates the feedback. When the DC voltage goes above the point
where the output line is supposed to regulate, the ohm meter should show
that the opto  phototransistor is drawing some current. If it does this, the
problem is with the primary feedback components. If it does not do this, the
problem is in the secondary feedback components.
Jerry Silverman
Greentron Inc
4 Newland Ave Greenville SC 29609
Fax/Phone 864 232 3889