[TechAssist] Re: Sony projo G2 adjust

  • From: "Leonard Caillouet" <lcaillo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 07:56:34 -0500

Good question.  What I have found is when I have a tracking problem, it is
usually mostly in one tube.  I like to start with the G2 dead on as a
reference and sometimes the bad tube needs to be tweaked of a bit.  I find
it helps to have the other two tracking as close as possible as a start.
Reduce the variables, then fudge it if you have to.  The jig seems to
minimize the interactions with the other adjustment, btw, though on a set
with poor tracking you still have to fudge at least one tube.  I try to
leave the one that tests best as a reference and don't touch the G2 on that
one again.

I also like to set the G2 by looking in the CRTs.  I find it easier to be
sure of the level and it is not always possible to make the room dark.  Sony
makes this a PITA because the screens are hard to remove much of the time,
so I can't always do so unless we have pulled the chassis to the shop, then
it is easy, but final tweaking has to be done on the screen.

Also, always remember to tweak the gray scale looking at the set straight
on, not from one side or the other.  While the sets in recent years have
become much better about it, there is still a gray scale shift from side to
side due to the angles of the tubes.  I prefer the stairstep patterns with
the horizontal bars.  Since I have an older Sencore unit that has the
vertical bars, and don't have a portable, I use the DVE disc in the field or
tweak on a b&w pix.  The latter is my preference if the tubes are tracking
normally, but you need a stairstep to see which tube is non linear with the
others and at what levels.

Leonard Caillouet
Electronics World
1261 NW 76 Blvd