[TechAssist] Re: Sony TV KV24FV10, no start- just chirping

  • From: "Technotronic Dimensions" <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 10:04:55 -0400

Not Sure if this will help, but if you have a Cap Checker like a Sencore
that you can apply a few hundred Volts with to the Anode to FBT Gnd (out of
Circuit) , measure the Capacitance there. All Flybacks Have an Internal
Capacitor that ought to not change in value. For Monitors , the Value is
suppose to be like 3-10 nF. I am just starting to get into measuring this in
TV Flybacks, and so far it looks like its suppose to be larger, like perhaps
2-5 pF on a good TV FBT for say a 20 Inch set.

I just had one Yesterday where I could see the Value Change on the Sencore
as I applied heat to the left Side of the FBT's Focus / G2 Pots. The Value
went down from 1.5 - 2 pF to like 0.5 pF as soon as the heat hit it.
Likewise, the Problem in the TV Would lessen when I decreased the G2 Pot.
Not sure if that is something you can try there, but when the Internal Cap
opens up in Flybacks, you get a variety of unusual problems. The One I found
Yesterday seemed to Cause Acoustic Noises to eminate from the FBT, much like
a Speaker Coil would do, (have seen this once before on a Monitor FBT) and
the sound would be reflected as Distortion in the Picture. Of Course,
depending on the severity of your problem, I suppose if the FBT had an open
Cap, or possibly even a shorted Rectifier Diode in the Secondary, it would
activate the ABL Protect, and merely shut down the set. Let us know how you
make out.

Steve Hearns
Technotronic Dimensions, NY [USA]
WWW.TECHNOTRONIC-DIMENSIONS.COM
1-877-817-9885 (Voice / Fax Toll Free - US Only)