[TechAssist] Re: Sony TIVO SVR-2000 - harddisk problems

  • From: Gary McCartney <gary@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 00:37:07 -0500

I don't know about the formatting type used, but it may be possible to
manually type in the hex codes for the boot sectors on a new hard drive
(must be same model as the old one)using Norton Disk Edit. It is a disk
editor program, DOS based. I have used it to save the life of a corrupt
hard drive. I had two hard drives exact same model. I went into the boot
sector on the good drive and recorded all the hex digits, then typed in
the same digits on the corrupt drive. It worked, I even got all my data
back and I didn't have to format the drive either. Down side is it took
2 or 3 hours to do it.

Gary McCartney

McCartney Electronics
Guelph Ontario Canada