[TechAssist] Re: Sony " STR-D965" A/V Surround Reciever - Protect Mode ?

  • From: Scott Beebe <Scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: John & Sharon Mikowich <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 15:55:40 -0400

Hello John,
I can upload the manual if you want, as I did not see it in the index, but this
is what I found on it.

No power to front panel or speakers.
RESOLUTION
Replaced TR Q Q753, 754, 705, 706, 755, 756, 605, 606, R756, 753.
Unit goes into protect, found IC671 defective, putting dc voltage on load line.
RESOLUTION
Replaced IC671 on unit and restored unit to normal operation.
Unit will go into protect after about 20 sec.
RESOLUTION
Found +11v on input pin 1 & 2 of IC601. Replaced IC601 and still had some
problem. Traced 11v back to IC406, and found that R442 one leg was not soldered
in. Resoldered R442 and unit worked fine. This is the first time I've seen this
prob. Solder connection was not soldered at factory. Land was bare. May be a 1
time occurance.
Unit in speaker protect mode. All audio amplifiers appeard to be working
correctly. No overcurrent of DC offset, still system control/IC104 pin 26 was
low. When we replaced the CPU the problem was resolved. Input port evidently
was cause of problem.
RESOLUTION
Replace system cotnrol IC104

 Thanx,

Scott Beebe
Ohm Electronics Inc.
609 W. Clinton St.
Ithaca NY 14850
Voice: (607) 273-8406
Fax: (607) 273-8743
WWW.OhmElectronicsInc.com
mailto:Scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Monday, June 14, 2004, 3:33:37 PM, you wrote:

John> Make: Sony

John> Model: STR-D965

John> Problem: Receiver keeps flashing " Protector ", nothing else works.

John> Hi Everyone:

John>       Got this one in and all it does is flash " Protector" . Check all
John> fuses, ok, checked outputs for shorts, no shorts seems ok, have +50v &
John> -50v also have +12v & -12v from 2 regulators. Have no print on this &
John> need to be pointed in a new direction to continue troubleshooting.
John> Anyone have any tips on this? they would greatly be Appreciated !

John> Thank You In Advance:

John> John Mikowich
John> East Side Tv.

John>