[TechAssist] Sony Play Station 2,does not recognise disc?

  • From: Philip Bader <tjanphyl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 09:46:14 -0500

My customer called me on this one. His Sony Play station 2 will not
recognise DVDs or games.With audio CDs it gets to the audio menu but
will not play,Sometimes gets a "disc read error". Can hear the disc
spinning, and he says he hears the laser moving (focusing?) but then it
spins down to a stop.
Sony will repair it for $120.00
Retail is $200.00. It's a year or so old.
Need any suggestions as to cause. My limited experience on a
Play-stations makes me feel the laser is defective.If so,what's the
possibility of a cost effective fix?
need Input!
Phil Bader
--