[TechAssist] Sony KV35S42(AA-2D) - Snaps & shorts H.OUT, Damper Diode & regulator

  • From: "Dale Lubow" <harristv50010@xxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 10:05:08 -0500

I am working on a Sony KV35S42 with a AA-2D chassis. Came in with
H.output(2SC5148), IC601 regulator & damper diode(D502) shorted. I then
replaced H.output, IC601 regulator, damper diodes(D502, D503 & D504), C511 &
flyback checked Ok. When I turned it on it made a loud HV snap and all parts
shorted again. I called Sony tech. assist, he suggested changing the
flyback. I then replaced all the parts listed plus the flyback.

First I checked the B+ before I connected the H.output and it was 135V.
The horizontal circuit times out perfectly with my Sencore TVA-92.

This time the HV came up for about 5 seconds, I  heard a loud snap & a
bright flash near the H.output transistor and all the parts shorted again. I
find no trace of arcing near the H.output, so maybe the flash was a reaction
of the transistor shorting.

I took the yoke off and looked for any sign of breakdown and checked for any
shorts across windings. I checked the picture tube & the emission is ok.

The CRT could be breaking down when the HV comes up but I have never had
this short one of the two parallel dampers each time it happens.

Does any one have any idea what might be going on?

TIA,
Dale

Dale A. Lubow C.E.T.
Harris TV & Appliance