[TechAssist] Re: Sony KV32XBR96S (repeated audio amp IC failure)

  • From: "Damon" <damon101@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 07:28:27 -0500

That's the G board mounted vertically on the left side of the TV correct??
I hope you have schematics, because if this info is correct, Sony built the
primary SMPS with 2 sets of 'matched pair' outputs that operated in parallel
with each other.....I had one that kept blowing the pairs one at a time
until all were replaced at the same time......>>>and there was a tiny VDR
located near the drive transformer that was killing them.<<< I've only seen
that design once, in their very first TVs that used q602/q603.

The relay powering up the SMPS....chattering is most likely due to dried out
cap or high resistance in the supply for that relay.......if its not related
to OCP shutdown that is....The unloaded SMPS/Variac test you posted is the
Sony defacto test used by them.....good place to start.

Damon Brunger