[TechAssist] Sony KV-27EXR15

  • From: "Webster TV" <webstertv@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 16:00:59 -0600

Sony Techs,

I have this Sony in the shop for dead set symptom.Don't get too many Sonys
in to repair in my area. Found numerous poor solder connections in the power
supply circuit, and also defective IC 651 (STRS6301A) Power Conv. IC.
Replaced IC with a generic, I know I should have replaced it with a Sony
original, but didn't have one in stock, and also customer doesn't want to
spend over $75.00 on the repair, and I'm sure the original would up the
repair cost considerbley. The question I have, is the set runs fine now,
except the IC runs extremely hot, almost too hot to touch.I noticed the
board is discolored around the IC, so it's been running hot before, and the
heatsink is quite large, so it must get pretty warm, but how hot is too hot.
Is this normal for this IC? Or is there something that causes this IC to run
hot? Or is it because of the generic?

                                       TIA
                                       Dan Webster
                                       Webster's TV