[TechAssist] Sony KP41EXR96, dead, clicks. G board parts shorted

  • From: Phil Bader <tjanphyl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 16:00:42 -0400

Customer said the picture distorted, appeared to be "double", or an
"outline" just before it went dead.
Not sure it she describes a horizontal, or convergence effect.
On the convergence board, the two conv. fuses are OK. All the low ohm
resistors on the board OK
 I removed the  power supply "G" board, (burried under a scan board) and
bench checked it, locating two shorted parts:
Power transistor Q614 (C4582), and a 3 leg "common anode" dual diode
D605 (D10SC6MR).
I checked all over and no other parts appear shorted or open. The D605
appears to output to the set's "-18V" source to connectors G2 and G7.
Don't know what the negative 18V does.
Any history on these parts failing, or suggestions of elsewhere to look?
Ten years old.
Sony PTV's seems to have a knack for smokingthe same  newly installed
parts...
Phil Bader

--

Philip Bader