[TechAssist] Re: Sony HOT question

  • From: "Leonard G. Caillouet" <lcaillo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 10:11:06 -0400

Is this just an isolated incidence or do you routinely add heat sinks or
fans?  My question is really whether it is a reasonable procedure to add a
fan to the HOT on Sony televisions routinely in order to keep them cooler.
Will this enhance the reliability of the sets enough to justify the dosts?
I think not, but wanted to check my reasoning.  It seems to me that, similar
to the discussion we had on the RCAs running hot, that when you fix them
right they should not run so hot that the HOT fails without some other
problem causing it.  I just don't change many HOTs that don't have something
else wrong.

I am engaged in a discussion on the matter with a consumer who says he is an
electronics designer who feels that a fan is needed.  I agree that there
could be better heat sinking and a fan would not hurt, but I do not feel
that it will enhance the reliability significantly.  Anyone agree, disagree?

I anyone wants to respond off list I'll post a summary of opionions so we
don't clog up the list with the matter.

Leonard G. Caillouet
Service Manager
Electronics World