[TechAssist] Sony HCD-ZX70DVD washed out video output

  • From: Jim Myers <jr.myers@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Techassist <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 13:22:51 -0500

Both the composite and the S-Video out are washed out. I have replaced
the video output buffer IC691 twice because the B+, grounds, mute, and
all three input signals look good but the outputs are clipped or
saturated so the monitor shows a washed out raster. The schematic shows
DC levels at the input pins to be 0.5 volts and at the output pins to be
1.7 volts. The actual DC is about 1.8 at the inputs and 3.8 at the
outputs. Sony tech line guy says the 208 pin $101.00 IC that feeds the
video signals to IC 691 must be bad and putting out excessive DC which
is in turn causing IC691 to overdrive. I proved this wrong by lifting
one of the input pins and find over 2 volts on the pin while the circuit
is less at about 1.7. I'm beginning to think the Sony IC's may have a
problem, it is a BA7660F. Any ideas from a great group of techs who has
seen everything!

Thanks,

Since 1972                     *
Jim Myers                      *