[TechAssist] Re: Sanyo DS31650

  • From: Dennis Viereck <wa6ati@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 04:48:06 -0800

Jack:
Easy man.... This set will need two things for it to lock in on a TV channel.
First and foremost is the AFT crossover voltage. This is the voltage that the
IF circuitry generates when a properly tuned video carried is phased matched
to the internal 45 mhz VCO inside the demodulator chip.

Secondly you need Horizontal sync, stripped from the received video, sent to
the the Microprocessor. This H sync tells the Microprocessor that the
television is receiving and NTSC broadcast and not a scrambled picture as it
would be if the set was trying to receive a pay channel that has been
scrambled. This Sync info is typically useful to the CPU when executing auto
program. It discriminates the normal channels from unmodulated carriers, and
scrambled & vacant channels and will not allow them to be automatically stored
in memory.

Do you have any service data that will give you the pin out of the IF section
this television? It has been years since I worked on a Sanyo, but I have a
feeling if this set has an external IF circuit (meaning Tuner IF, MTS
circuitry are NOT integrated inside the tuner housing) Then what I listed
above is how the AFT and Sync detection works. I have tons of schematics over
here, what type of IF demodulator chip is this set using?

Dennis Viereck