[TechAssist] Samsung ballast fix

  • From: "Hugh @ Main TV" <maintv2004@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 10:35:12 -0700

Something to save money---we found a fix for the ballast power supply in
Samsung DLP projection TVs,  these seem to be same chassis---HLM4365W, HLM5065W,
HLM437W, HLN437W, HLN4365W, ST43L2HK, HLM507W, HLN507W, HLN5065W,
ST50L2K,HLM617W, HLN617W,   &  ST61L2K.
On the ballast supply there is a vertical mounted board with four  TO220
transistors soldered on it  numbered 2SK3294.  We found one of them shorted (10
ohms-all leads) out of circuit.  You may be able to repair the board while
still connected to the main board, little tricky to remove it  (we did).  The
2SK3294 does not cross to anything we could find, but found a cross in Mouser
web site.  We ordered 3, put in one and the TV is working great!  The
replacement transistor cost less than $1.00!
Note: You have to grind or cut off all but 3/8 in. of the metal tab of the new
part and solder it to the vertical mouted board.   This ballast board cost
about $120 with shipping new,  $1.00 for a part and little time to fix.
Note: We were told that these ballast supplies are lethal, don't put your
finger in there when on!

Hugh Thornley
Main TV
636 Main St.