[TechAssist] Re: Samsung TXK2754 with repeat horizontal outputfailure

  • From: "Christopher Barnak" <cbarnak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 08:31:24 -0500

Bob,
I had that same problem with a different model Samsung.  We have about 200
Samsung model TXB 2012  TV's in the school system. For some reason I had about
10 of these units continously being returned for blown HOT. I replaced
everything I could think of, but still these sets would always return. They
might work a week, month, or year, but they would ALWAYS return. Most did'nt
make it more than a month or two, and, it seemed like the HOT was blowing on
power on or off (which one, I'm not sure).  It was driving me crazy. Then I
decided to lower the B+, an easy thing in this model. I replaced the STR30125
regulator with a STR30120.  To my surprise, not one of these sets have failed
yet. But I still don't know why the extra +5volts made a difference.  And why
the other 190 TV's don't have this problem. Now if I get a set in with a blown
HOT, I replace it with the 120V regulator as a precaution.  Sometimes, things
are just too intermittent to troubleshoot and not worth the time unless you see
a string of them start coming in.

Christopher Barnak, CET
Norfolk Public Schools
School Plant Facilities
966 Bellmore Ave.
Norfolk, Va. 23504

Phone 757 628 3385
Fax      757 628 3392
cbarnak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

>>> geminitv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 2/17/04 2:34:24 PM >>>

Yes I did the obvious! I did replace C414 (220mfd/35v) off the primary of
the horizontal driver transformer and also C427 (2.2mfd/250v) of the
horizontal yoke winding this morning. I had ordered a couple extra HOTs so I
put a new one in and the set is running. The question is for how long?

Bob Waterman, CET® #RI-28
Master Technician License #9109
Service Manager / Parts Manager
Gemini Computer, TV, & Security Alarms