[TechAssist] Re: STK 392-110 testing

  • From: Larry <schntv@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 18:51:57 -0400

i would guess about half the time it is not the STK and it is
only one, if it will play see which is off, vert or horiz, and
i replace that one.
and i have had good results, actually the replacement has
failed before the old one in a few occasions.
The hard one for me are the ones that wont show a pix, and
shut down in 15 seconds, and most of the time it is the
digital control board, not the STK.
so i change the stks first because they are cheaper, then
order the digital board.
i have called factory tech support many times to help me
decide which to replace and we guess it wrong about every time.
lol
first they say it is a convergence problem for sure, and the
digital seldom goes bad, but i have found more digital boards
out in the newer sets than STK.s. I call tech support back ,
out of frustration and then after me telling them i changed
the stk they say i should have changed the digital first.
lol
there seems to be no way to diagnose this first.
very frustrating to have a pile of used stks that are 90%
good., but afraid to trust them.
After all im not trying to fix these sets to last 10 years
with out trouble.
If the manufacturers arnt conserned about the life of their
set why should i be.
I called to order a part for a major brand PTV  2000 model,
and the tech chuckled and said you must know this is 5 years
old and time to replace it, why would we carry parts for it.

it is hard for me to change to these new business practices,
but I guess I must.

Larry

--
Schneider TV & Electronic Inc.