[TechAssist] Re: Repair Prices

  • From: "J Silverman" <greentron@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 13:35:02 -0500

In the USA, most independent shops charge $75 per hour for labor on consumer
electronics equipment. On the average, 4 units per day are repaired. In a
small shop, the efficiency is low, so only about 4 hours are billable.
Because of this, some owner-technicians work long hours and weekends to fix
the lower cost items and the difficult items without extra compensation to
improve the apparent efficiency. The $75 per hour figure would be adequate
if the efficiency were higher so that 8 hours per day would be billable.
Now, the economically successful shops only repair large screen tvs and
projection tvs. Because of the repair costs it is more economical to replace
most other items rather than repair.
Of the shop income, about 1/2 is consumed by the shop operating expenses and
1/2 goes to the owner -technician, assuming no other employees. Of the
owners income, about 1/2 goes to pay various taxes so there really isnt that
much discretionary income left. The big expenses are housing, food, medical
care, and transportation. The average houshold has more than one person with
an income. The average person has no money left, but does have credit for
emergencies, or for large purchases like houses or cars. Of course, there
are rich people and poor people too, but the technician usually falls in the
economic class of the average person.
Jerry Silverman
Greentron Inc
4 Newland Ave