[TechAssist] RCA ctc169CF F27228ET no sound after lightning

  • From: <wjstv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 09:45:35 -0400

This TV had no audio after lightning. Picture is good. There is no audio at
pins 34 and 35 (left and right audio out ) of U1600 (DBX decoder). Voltages
on that ic are good except for pins 29 and 32. Should have 0 v on them and
we have 5v. These voltages appear to be controlled by U1602 (I/O bus
expander) and U1410 (audio switch) but our audio schematic (Sams 3175)
doesn't quite jive with what's in the tv.

We have checked the obvious: internal/external speaker switch and "speaker
on" in menu. Mute button on remote makes word "mute" appear and disappear on
sceen. One thing that may be relevant: When menu is pressed on the remote,
the word "mute" comes up on a list with "audio", "video", and "setup." Can't
bring up anything additional with menu "mute" but the other menu items work
normally.

We also have an RCA ctc169CA2 G27221WK that came in after storm. Had a bad
tuner. We repaired trace in tuner and it also now has good pic but no sound.
"Mute" also comes up on its menu list. Haven't done any further
troubleshooting on it.

Fixes or troubleshooting suggestions appreciated.

Jeff Smith
Smith TV Service
1930 Main St
Newberry, SC 29108