[TechAssist] Re: RCA TV MDL: P52151WK - Converge Settings IC

  • From: "Old Damon" <damon101@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 07:28:32 -0500

I have had several of these units with the bad connections on the
cables....never had one with a bad EEprom or required the shield, although I
have tried them all when this problem became apparent about 5 - 7 years ago.

I would lean towards purchasing the cable kit, which is just 2 cables from
the convergence board to the sweep board (if I remember correctly). If you
can't get them, remove the corrosion/oxidation on the connecting pins. To
test, just wiggle or barely touch the cables. Of course, if you have
disconnected the cables, you will never see the symptom any more until a
month or two later. The oxidation is the cause of the convergence either
shifting or bowing. And yes, I have seen it related to turning on the TV
too. That's why I did the EEprom and shield kits on the first 2 or 3 units,
until I identified the REAL cause.

Damon Brunger
Telrad Electronic Services
Ft Wayne, IN 46815