[TechAssist] Re: RCA TV CTC169 regulator circuit capacitors

  • From: greentron@xxxxxxx
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 01:33:50 +0000

When selecting a different capacitor than the original, it depends on what it
does in the circuit, so you have to know something about electronics to make an
intelligent choice. Also wet aluminum electrolytics are unstable, changing
capacitance with age, temperature, and even DC bias, so they are not used where
the value is critical. They are usually conservatively selected so that the
circuit will keep working even though the capacitance is changing. Generally
speaking there is nothing wrong with paralleling capacitors and you find it
done in a lot of circuits.
J Silverman