[TechAssist] Re: RCA PTK178, Close captioning question.

  • From: "Mouton's Electronics" <moutons@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 14:45:55 -0600

I found a bulletin on this on other chassis including the ctc179 which is
very close to the ptk178. I don't know why it isn't listed within this
bulletin but may explain why your tv is doing this.

TOPIC: NO CLOSED CAPTIONING USING THE S-VIDEO INPUT
DATE: October 28, 1994
CHASSIS: CTC169, CTC176, CTC177, CTC179, CTC186, CTC187
Symptom: No closed captioning on the television when using the S-video
output from DSS receiver, VCR, or
Laser Disc player.
Cause: The video switching in the chassis does not route the S-video input
to the closed captioned decoder.
Cure: To have closed captioning, PIP, and the selected video output to
operate properly, it is necessary to
connect cables to both the S-video and composite video inputs. The
television only uses the S-video
input for the main picture. The composite video input is used as the picture
in picture (PIP) source and to
supply the selected video output and the closed captioning decoder circuit.

Jason
Mouton Electronics
New Iberia, LA