[TechAssist] Re: RCA F35676MB CTC197CD Part ID

  • From: "J Silverman" <greentron@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 20:58:02 -0400

There is a phenomen called corona discharge that can occur whenever there is
more than 300 volts in air. The discharge produces ultra violet light and
the light gradually damages insulating materials. To minimize this a filler
is used to displace the air. The discharge can still take place in the tiny
air bubbles in the filler and the filler degrades gradually. This is
probably the biggest killer of flybacks, capacitors, and ballasts.
The other biggest problem is moisture working its way in, carrying ionic
contaminents to the windings and rectifiers. Also if the device is not fully
impregnated with filler, windings and connections can vibrate until they
break. And of course lightning can damage anything.
Jerry Silverman
Greentron Inc
4 Newland Ave
Greenville SC 29609