[TechAssist] RCA F35100ST / CTC169BG dead (set from hell) FIX

  • From: Philip Bader <tjanphyl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2003 15:28:51 -0400

WE sold this 500 pound Buick to a nice lady over a year and a half ago
for the repair bill.
It's Baaaaaaaaaack...
Symptom # 1).
Came in dead. HOT (2SD1885) shorted.Replaced it. Powered up.
Symptom # 2)
 Ran awhile and HOT was running hot and noticed with brightness changes
the screen seemed to fluctuate H. width a bit.
I installad a "scan kit" (C4401,c4402,c4403,c4406,cr4401,cr4402, and HOT
Q4401 2sd1885,used 200167).
Now HOT ran cool, picture steady.
Symptom # 3).
After warming up (5-10 min) picture got two bands of jagged lines thru
pix and in 3 seconds shut down.Unplug awhile to "reset". Did this
repeatedly every time I unplugged it and powered it up again,but my HOT
was always good, undamaged.
With three seconds to look, I narrowed it down to cool-spraying the
jungle area it would clear and stay on as long as I continually cooled
area.
Further narrowed to the culprit:
Crystal "32X Horiz.resonator"  Y4301 (RCA# 200210) The small square blue
crystal next to the jungle IC.(actual part cooling helped)
Symptom # 4)
Intermittant color. Goog B&W. usually when I just turned it on. May
"snap" into color in a bit.Then seemed to stay OK.
First, chemically cleaned (de-flux it) around jungle chip area and
resonator.
Second, read a post of a bad trace causing this: Trace between L4702 and
C4705, measured 3K. Install jumper wire. Location: I15- H15 on board.
Color restored.
 Follow up: As a precaution I replaced the smps electrolytics,too.
 Has been running good all day now so far...
I also lit a candle. Need all the help I can get...Geez.

Phil Bader
--
Philip Bader
Jan Phyl TV Inc. (estab. 1976)