[TechAssist] Re: RCA CTC 197CL Blows Speakers !

  • From: gulftech@xxxxxxxx
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 20:23:06 -0800

John,

It's hard to say what caused the failure.  Could be customer abuse or
underated speakers, especially since it is my understanding that the
audio circuit still works--just open voice coils.  Check out the specs on
the amplifier IC and the voice coil ratings.  Ask if customer hooks up to
external spkr jacks, if so equiped.  (Not worried about an external
load--just an external amplifier, perhaps.)  Sounds to me there is a teen
involved and the speakers just got tired and turned in their resignation
after 8 months.  To be honest, I would be tempted to put a resistor,
about 2 ohm, 10 watt, in series with the voice coil on each channel.
Would limit the power, but, oh well...

Ken Smith
Gulf Technical Services
3034 Gulf Breeze Parkway
Gulf Breeze, FL  32563
850-934-8324 (Voice) 850-932-0819 (Fax)

On Tue, 28 Jan 2003 20:31:31 -0500 "Spacenut" <spacenut@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
writes:

> Make: RCA
>  Model: G32695LV
>  Chassis: CTC197CL
>
>  Problem: Blows Speakers.
>
>  Hi Everyone;
>
>   The above unit is a monster floor model that I repaired about 8
> months ago
> for no audio. What I found was that both speakers were open. replaced
> speakers set worked fine till last week when customer said they
> heard a pop
> & no sound. speakers are open again. have chassis on bench & audio
> on test
> speakers is perfect no for the last week. I know if I replace
> speakers & put
> back in service for customer it will come back to haunt me. Has
> anyone seen
> this before in this chassis ? any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thank You,
>
> John Mikowich
> East Side Tv.

Only $9.95 per month!