[TechAssist] Re: RCA CC390 full size VHS camcorder, blank viewfinder in camer...

  • From: JSopko112@xxxxxxx
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 09:50:38 EST

In a message dated 12/8/2003 8:22:03 PM Eastern Standard Time,
kevintv@xxxxxxx writes:> This older RCA camcorder plays back tapes OK, but only
records a
> blank
> screen, and shows a blank screen in the viewfinder, in the camera mode.
> I am guessing that there are bad caps in the video section, but I would
> like to know if there are any other common solutions before I tear it
> apart--in other words is it worth fixing?  Is it like the older Sony CC
> that have many caps that fail?  TIA
> Kevin Wilks
Dear Kevin...there is likely a DC-DC converter , a shielded box a little
smaller than a pack of cigarettes, sandwiched between the transport and the
camera
section.  it supplies the "C9v" (camera 9v) and possibly a C5v voltages.
inside of it, there will be several small capacitors (i think 4 of 'em) who
have become defective.  you can use your ESR meter to tell which ones and
replace them with small radial capacitors.  Personally, i prefer the VHS
camcorders
over the small ones, and once this is taken care of, the owner should get some
good use out of the camera.

Identifying the DC-DC converter is a little tough to someone who hasn't seen
one before...as i said, small metal box, behind the pickup's shield, in front
of the transport, single multi-conductor plug going to a PCB.  there is
usually a metal "tape" over the seam's of the box's shield.

hope this helps

Joe Sopko
Consumer Service
"Service Since the Last Millenium"