[TechAssist] Re: Question - internal 120V AC line varistors- surge suppressors

  • From: Al Gutz <alg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 22:21:43 -0500

MOV works like your avalanche diode protect in a DC supply.
When it incoming AC voltage exceeds the rated operating voltage the MOV
shorts it to ground and opens the line fuse and in most cases dies in
the process. For 110V AC normally use 130V MOV with enough current
rating to open the fuse in unit.

Al G