[TechAssist] Re: Question - internal 120V AC line varistors- surge suppressors

  • From: "Peter oliver" <oliver_peter1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 01:04:14 +0000

Hi Garry,
    digikey has a lot of data under the panasonic ZNR series, they appear to
be simmilar to what sony uses if not the same. The recomdations that
pansonic makes are for the 241 and 271 for 100 to 120v line applications. My
own personal opinon though would be to select the max AC as close to the
line volatage as possilbe in order to get the lowest possible clamping
voltage (possibly even some of the 200v that have a 130v RMS rating) just so
that at any power twitch it will blow the fuse, best to go with the highest
current (so that it will continue to ark to ground and not open until after
the fuse blows) and with as fast of a switching time as possible. ( clamp as
low as possible while permiting the nominal AC, handle as big a surge as
possible, and react as fast as possible)

Peter Oliver
Tucson Radio TV

From: Gary McCartney <gary@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [TechAssist] Question - internal 120V AC line varistors- surge
suppressors
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2003 19:24:34 -0500

In general, what is a good quality and rating of a varistor to use at
the 120V ac input of equipment where the varistor (surge suppressor) has
been blown up by a power surge?

Example, I have a Brother Intellifax 1270 fax machine that came in , hit
by a power surge. I found the varistor at the 120V AC power input (Z1 on
the power supply board) blowed up real good, along with the fuse which
was black as coal. These were the only faults as the fax machine works
now, however I don't know what varistor to use in place of the original.
Whatever the part was, it did a great job at protecting the power
supply. I will let the machine run awhile after repair in case the
mosfet switcher transistor was stressed in the action.

What would be the recommended voltage and amperage surge rating to
replace the original with, perhaps purchased from Digikey or other
similar generic parts supplier?
--

BTW, I titled the message the way I did because I thought I'd get more

Thanks for any help.

Gary McCartney

McCartney Electronics
Guelph Ontario Canada
Est. 1984
email: gary (at) number63.ca

Cell phone ?switch? rules are taking effect ? find out more here.
http://special.msn.com/msnbc/consumeradvocate.armx