[TechAssist] Re: Question about computer

  • From: "Chaz" <chaz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 23:37:38 -0600

I don't know if Clint, or anyone else, already mentioned any of this but, the
"yellow marks" you saw in your System Settings mean that Windows could
not recognize the settings for those items which were marked yellow.  While
you are in the System Settings, you should select REMOVE of those items
and let Windows RESTART Windows and attempt to reinstall those
Hardware drivers for you.

Furthermore, since I do not know what brand, or model, your CDRom is on
drive D:, it might be that the firmware requirements for it is critical enough
require the original Driver Disk that came with the drive.  If this is true,
you
should Install it FIRST, prior to allowing Windows (if it allows it to be done
from DOS).  Otherwise, when you get to the part when Windows prompts
you for the Make, Model, Destination of the source driver, select HAVE DISK
and point Windows to look for the drivers from your floppy drive (if you
recieved the Install Disk on floppy).

Even if the drivers are only on a CD, you might still be able to gain access to
the CDrom and install the original driver(s).  Instead of selecting REMOVE
while in the System Settings, only this time select PROPERTIES for the
CDrom and then find and select UPDATE DRIVER.  Again, as above
outlined, have your original Driver Disk (or CD) available.

If you don't have "original" Drivers for your drive, let me, or us, know and I
or
someone else can help you locate a set.

Chaz
chaz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx