[TechAssist] Re: Question Thomson technical help.

  • From: Paul <dntwntv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 13:30:46 -0800 (PST)

Jim   You are right. I checked the voltage at pin 50 of U13101 and the 4.5v is
missing. I removed the resistor from the collector of Q11900 applied 4.5v to
base and sound came on. However it does not get full volume. Interesting that
the sound is normal and the mute works the way it is now. I will replace U13101
and see if everything works as normal. BTW that IC has been changed before. The
customer mentioned that someone had worked on this set in the house in the
past.Couldn't remember what the problem was at that time. I am amazed that
anyone would do all that in the house. It's a 36" set that is in his bedroom
with very little room to work, on top of a chest about shoulder high. Customers
mind might be a little fuzzy.        Paul
Jim Myers <jr.myers@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:Obviously someone has modified the
circuit to hide a problem, that 0.81R
resistor should not be there. Pin 50 of U13101, the Syscon micro should be
high to bias the base of Q11900 to turn the transistor on and keep the
collector low. Pin 50 should toggle with the mute switch. Defeating the mute
circuit is also what causes it to have a loud pop when turned on or off.
This should NOT be ignored unless the owner doesn't want to spend the money
for a proper fix. The CTC197 schematic does not uses proper logic state
labeling, it shows U13101 pin 50 having 4.9 volts and is labeled "speaker
mute" with no bar while pin 5 of U11901 is labeled "mute" with no bar and
shows 24.6 volts. If pin 50 is high then pin 5 should be low since Q11900 is
an NPN inverter.
Jim Myers
Since 1972
Telrad Electronic Services Co.