[TechAssist] Re: Philips model# 25ps72c part number for tuner

  • From: larry <schntv@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 11:44:30 -0500

i am old also, lol
but plan on hanging on for a while yet.
i love this business, and dont want to go home and watch tv,
the rest of my life.
lol
i cry about the 10 of thousands f dollars i have in obsolete
parts but needed them to be able to repair a set the same day.
and also the garbage cans after cans of schematics i have
thrown away, never used.
i guess we all understand that.
I guess the insinuation is that there are too many of us, and
we should not make it easy for small shops to hang on. and
that the guys that invested the most should be entitled to the
remains.
this is not a problem for me, i am the only surviving shop in
the area.
my competition is wal-mart selling a new one cheaper than i
can repair one.
So if i can keep the cost down, by tips or free schematics, i
can survive.
I dont think my enemy is another shop, but cheap imports.
So i help when I can, but i do get tired of the same old
questions, that have been answered every week. i suspect some
must not ever read the list except when they need something.
 and i refuse to help someone fix his own set if he isn't
making his living repairing tvs.
just my opinion.
Larry

lol

Hoyt's TV wrote:

> Maybe Rocky has a large shop in a huge metropolitan service area, so buying
> one of every service manual ever printed is a viable option for him.
>
> I just emptied the contents of two large Philips ring binders, full of VCR
> manuals from the 80s, to make room for the parts book pages for my 78
> Chrysler survivor.
>
> As I looked at what I was throwing away, I was deeply saddened by the cost
> of it and the fact that I never used a single one of those VCR manuals. I
> still have about 20 feet of shelf space filled with more of those manuals
> from that time, on VCRs, Camcorders, TV's and Magnavox stereos and B&W TVs.
> Another six feet of Zenith folders. Along with 6 four drawer file cabinets
> full of Sams folders. A couple trays of Magnavox, Sylvania, Philco, micro
> fiche. For every foot of Sams folders I can see, on average, one that has
> been taken out of the file drawer.
>
> I no longer subscribe to any of them because I don't make enough money to
> pay for that stuff anymore. I now buy individual manuals as needed and add
> the cost to the customer's bill. If the customer wants to keep the manual, I
> mark it up 50% plus S&H, and sell it to him.
>
> I am happy to share what I do have with any other tech who needs it because
> I know what a loss this stuff is to most of us and the only way we can
> survive is to help each other.
>
> I think most of us realize we are seeing the end times of  TV service as a
> viable independent business. A lot of us are old enough so it fits in
> reasonably well with our retirement plans although I would have preferred
> that the business still be strong so I could sell it to help finance my
> retirement. If we are lucky enough to have it work out right, we will use up
> all our TV parts at about the same time we have used up all our body parts.
>
> I feel bad for the guys who are 20 years younger than myself. When they
> chose this business it still looked like a decent trade and they will have a
> half a lifetime left to fill in with some other way of earning a living.
>
> Russ Hoyt
> Hoyt's TV
> Exeter, NH

Schneider TV & Electronic Inc.
5415 N. Wooster ave.
Dover, Ohio 44622       www.geocities.com/schntv2000/
330-343-0768         FCC. first class & Extra class K8WLY