[TechAssist] Re: Pay Pal sucks

  • From: "Paul Gendreau" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 10:24:32 -0500

Hi Ken:

I did ask Clint, and that's why ServiceSoftware waited so long before using
PayPal as a credit card processor. We waited a LONG TIME!

Clint's bad experience is pre-Ebay owning PayPal and I firmly believe that the
bad experience is no longer relevant.  In any case, the bad experience was for
the merchant (in this case, Clint) not the buyer.

Using PayPal is no different than handing your credit card to the waiter in
your local eating establishment.  In fact, it is clearly safer, and here is why:

Nobody has your credit card info but PayPal.   Therefore, your credit card info
is not handed over to a merchant you do not know (unlike the eatery where the
waiter disappears with your card and can collect all the info needed to make a
charge with your card).

In the unlikely event that your credit card is ever charaged in error or by
theft, then the correction process is clear and trouble free (and this applies
to any credit card transaction, not just PayPal).

You simply challenge the charge with your credit card provider and the credit
card provider gives you the money back and takes the money away from the
merchant.  That's pretty much the thrust of any merhant agreement that involves
accepting credit cards.  It is nearly impossible to get a credit card provider
to take the side of a merchant.

Regards,

--== Paul ==--

=======================================
Paul R. Gendreau, Jr.
ServiceSoftware.com
Office:  207-490-1835
Email:  Paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.ServiceSoftware.com
=======================================

From: gulftech@xxxxxxxx
Date:  Fri, 31 Oct 2003 09:02:47 -0600

>I'm glad you responded, Paul.  I would have ordered Winstips a couple
>weeks ago, but had to use Pay Pal.  I won't do it.  Just ask Clint
>Hamilton about Pay Pal.
>
>Why won't you take M/C or Visa?
>

>Ken Smith
>Gulf Technical Services
>3034 Gulf Breeze Parkway
>Gulf Breeze, FL  32563
>850-934-8324 (Voice) 850-932-0819 (Fax)
>

>On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 09:35:57 -0500 "Paul Gendreau"
><paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>> Philip:
>>
>> The problem is clearly not PayPal, but the merchant you were dealing
>> with who chose to put you through the ordeal you describe.  The
>> merchant designed the shopping cart and the business rules it
>> operates by.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> --== Paul ==--
>>
>> =======================================
>> Paul R. Gendreau, Jr.
>> ServiceSoftware.com
>> Office:  207-490-1835
>> Email:  Paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> http://www.ServiceSoftware.com

>> From: Philip Bader <tjanphyl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> Date:  Fri, 31 Oct 2003 09:29:25 -0500
>>
>> >Last night My wife and I went to a web site order a board game.
>> >I started the process of entering my name, business name, shipping
>> >address,etc, then my wife's Mastercard. Clicked next to process.
>> >Well... the fun begins.
>> >"We have detected you have a Pay Pal account!"
>> >Then a page flips up requesting all the Pay Pal info, passwords,etc.
>> >Now, back months ago I started a Pay Pal account that I never used.
>> >Didn't like it.
>> >My wife also opened one to order collede books.
>> >The site detected my account due to my business address used and her
>> >account due to her Mastercard number we used.
>> >What a mess. It simply went in loops, not allowing me to just give
>> the
>> >card, order the game, and take my freakin money!
>> >Since we were at work here, we didn't have any of the password info.
>> >Never could pay for the darn thing.
>> >Hyperlinked to Paypal. No help there.
>> >So, all you technogeeks who swear by this PayPal thing, you can
>> have it.
>> >I'm sorry I ever opened that account.
>> >Phil Bader
>> >--
>> >Philip Bader
>> >Jan Phyl TV Inc. (estab. 1976)
>> >3420 Recker Hwy. Winter Haven, Fl. 33880
>> >Fax (863) 299-8821
>> >email: tjanphyl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> >For Professional Technicians Only
>> >

>>************************************************************************
>*****
>> >Classifieds! Buy or Sell!
>> >http://sell.tech-assist.org
>> >The Tech Address Book:
>> >http://www.tech-assist.org/secure/tip/contact.htm
>> >Add a Repair Tip Here, or Change/Remove your Email Address:
>> >http://www.tech-assist.org/secure/tip/main.htm
>> >Lost Password:
> [...]

Classifieds! Buy or Sell!
http://sell.tech-assist.org