[TechAssist] Re: Paper towles for cleaning B/S tv

  • From: "Leonard Caillouet" <lcaillo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 21:58:53 -0400

I use the synthetic chamois that I get at kmart or walmart.  It holds up
unbelievably well.  I cut it into 4" squares and just throwthem in the
laundry when they get dirty.  I have been using the same set from the piece
I bought 3 years ago for $8 and they show no sign of wearing out yet.  I
used to use natural chamois but I found that they tended to have heavy grain
in places and leave fibers sometimes, particularly when they get worn.

I use alcohol for a solvent, unless I have a really stubborn one, I
sometimes use acetone or a little spray solvent on my chamois.  For circuit
boards I find 409 glass and surface cleaner (the purple stuff) works best
and safely.  It consists mostly of isopropanol and surfactants and does not
attack plastics or the coatings on coil windings like some solvents might.

Leonard Caillouet