[TechAssist] Panasonic TV/ VCR PV-M1358W-K Chassis KM-138, black box on screen

  • From: Gary McCartney <gary@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 17:15:25 -0400

Customer called me up and says that he was adjusting the clock in the
menus and from then on he has a big black box on the screen (all except
the outer edges of the screen which the picture shows through).
Sometimes the letters [ffff] in white lettering show up in the top left
corner of this black box. When he changes channels, the picture is ok
for about 5 seconds then the black box returns. Problem occurs during
VCR playback also. The regular green colored on-screen graphics are
functioning normally.

Does anyone know if this is just some kind of microprocessor glitch that
can be reset somehow, or a menu option to escape this, or is there a
defect in the circuitry? I told him to leave the set unplugged for a few
hours but warned him that it probably wouldn't solve it. If it is the
circuit, I won't be able to work on it for a week.

Thanks for any help.
--

Gary McCartney

McCartney Electronics