[TechAssist] Re: Panasonic CT-36G33W Chassis ALEDP313 in SHUT DOWN

  • From: tjanphyl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2005 10:30:44 -0400

Fellow techs, correct me if I am wrong, but I have done this with many
makes. The standard 120V lamp is simply a "resistive dummy load" for
the power supply.Like a big 8 ohm resistor connected to an audio amp's
speaker terminal.
I have seen some power supplies get damaged without this dummy
load,because some run away without their load.You want to connect the
bulb to the B+ INPUT trace of the fly,otherwise you are pulling DC
current thru it's windings, and may damage it(flyback).Most main
regulated B+ outputs from these power supplies going to the fly/HOT
runs around 90 to 135 VDC. (the PC monitors sometimes go about 80-
90VDC), but this is still in the usable range for a standard 120VAC
incandescant 60watt light bulb. I have a ceramic bulb base(like you
see in an old house at the ceiling) on a small wooden board and two
wires with clips on them.One to ground,other to B+. Also the
brightness and constance of the bulb is a visual indicator.
Another use: I also use this bulb arrangement in place of the main AC
fuse where the original was blown, and I am troubleshooting the
PS.Mostly to see if I have cleared a dead short.(Dim= normal AC
current, bright=short....this rule is for the AC fuse,not the PS dummy
in the flt ckt). Sometimes the simple gadgets are the most useful.
That amd my Dick Smith ESR meter...another story!
Phil

Phil Bader, Pres.
Jan Phyl TV Inc
Winter Haven, Fl