[TechAssist] Re: Panasonic CT27G31U Chassis AEDP272 regulator IC801 runs very hot

  • From: gulftech@xxxxxxxx
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 15:12:46 -0600

Dominic,

Try replacing the STK730-020 with a -030.  Higher current, may run
cooler.  I have been using -090 to replace almost any in the series,
without any problems.  Those do run hot.  What normally happens is it
gets hot enough to cause the connections to crack on the board and blow
the regulator.  Make sure you clean the heat sink and use new heat
compound.  Also, those regulators come with a loop bent in each leg.
Don't straighen them; they are important.

HTH,

Ken Smith
Gulf Technical Services
3034 Gulf Breeze Parkway
Gulf Breeze, FL  32563
850-934-8324 (Voice) 850-932-0819 (Fax)

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 14:09:15 EST MDileo0000@xxxxxxx writes:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I serviced this for a shorted regulator, IC801 and blown primary
> fuse 3
> months ago and it is back with the same failure. I replaced the
> regulator,
> STK730-020, once again and the run voltages are normal, but the
> regulator is too hot
> to lay my finger on. I have had a few of these recently and all seem
> to have
> hot regulators. Is there something causing this or is it normal?
> Could not find
> anything in the archives or members tips. If someone could upload to
> the
> members area a schematic of any Panasonic/Quasar that uses this
> regulator, it would
> be appreciated. Thanks again,
>
> Dominic DiLeo
> Atlantic TV