[TechAssist] Re: PTV Unusual Coolant Leak - Fixed??Toshiba sucks NOT

  • From: mebonnell@xxxxxxxxx (Old TV Man)
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 11:18:08 -0500

I was only making a preference on workng on certain brands. I have
worked on many RCA's and made some money.

My first TV was a RCA. It was a keroseneTV and worked good until I could
not get wicks for it.

Max Bonnell
Bonnell TV
Robinson, IL

Sender: techassist-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx From:
tvservice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx(tvservice) Date: Thu, Jun 17, 2004, 8:25am To:
techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: [TechAssist] Re: PTV Unusual Coolant
Leak - Fixed??Toshiba sucks NOT Reply=A0to: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I don't mean to butt in , But I've made a pretty good living off of
repairing RCA's.
I see my share of Toshiba's but not as many as RCA I, like most of you
I'm sure, hate the new RCA design but I hated the CTC169 chassis when it
first came out also. Now I'd rather work on a 169 than anything.

Another brand that is common for too much green in the gray scale is
Panasonic.

Robert
tvservice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
H & H Electronics Inc

Sender: techassist-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx From:
wwood_38478@xxxxxxxxx(walter=3DA0wood) Date: Wed, Jun 16, 2004, 8:36pm
(CDT-2) To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: [TechAssist] Re: PTV
Unusaul Coolant Leak - Fixed??Toshiba sucks NOT Reply=3DA0to:
techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Toshiba gives us less trouble than anything we sell or have ever sold.
I've had only one Toshiba to fail in warranty in over 2&1/2 years. I've
had 4 Hitachi's in that same time frame, and that's not bad either
considering the hundreds that we sell.
But, I constantly have RCA's in the shop. About the only time I see a
Toshiba is when Lightning gets them.
But anything below a 31" set is NOT built by Toshiba, and we don't sell
those.

I think that they should abandon the small set market, just because they
aren't up to Toshiba Quality anymore.
IMHO

Walter

--- Bil Green <tv.vcrrepair@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: Toshiba PTV
Model 65HX81
Symptom: no power

Just finished repairing this set. It was so hard to figure where the
leak was that I thought this may help someone else (other interesting
defects found)
1. Troubleshot
2. Located and replaced open 2A circuit protector in power supply -
=3DA0=3DA0=3DA0=3DA0=3DA0=3DA0at this time a portion of the green CRT
(picture tube) circuit
=3DA0=3DA0=3DA0=3DA0=3DA0=3DA0=3DA0=3DA0board immediately started burning =
up
3. Examined area around green CRT and found a few drops of liquid
=3DA0=3DA0=3DA0=3DA0=3DA0=3DA0leaking from the CRT onto the circuit board =
(cause of
burning).
4. Removed the green CRT/assembly - checked carefully for leaks (no
=3DA0=3DA0=3DA0=3DA0=3DA0=3DA0longer leaking! - so obvious
sign as to where
it leaked from)
5. After hours of waiting for it to leak, and more tests, a loose
=3DA0=3DA0=3DA0=3DA0=3DA0=3DA0filler plug was found (buried under silicone=
 sealant).
We added
=3DA0=3DA0=3DA0=3DA0=3DA0=3DA0more coolant, tightened it (was not leaking =
at this
time), and
=3DA0=3DA0=3DA0=3DA0=3DA0=3DA0=3DA0=3DA0sealed it with silicone sealant.
6. Repaired burnt wiring on green CRT board
7. Reinstalled green CRT/assembly
8. Adjusted convergence controls
9. Tightened loose lens wing nuts (not done properly at factory)
10. Cemented totally loose convergence adjustment tabs (another
=3DA0=3DA0=3DA0=3DA0=3DA0=3DA0=3DA0=3DA0=3DA0=3DA0big mistake at factory) =

DOES TOSHIBA SUCK OR WHAT? -

This is not the
first time I am seen
loose lens wing nuts, not to mention almost every direct view Toshiba
I see having very green grey scale. But then it is good for business.
--
Best regards,
=3DA0=3DA0=3DA0=3DA0Bil Green

=3D3D=3D3D=3D3D=3D3D=3D3D