[TechAssist] Re: PTV Unusual Coolant Leak - Fixed??Toshiba sucks NOT

  • From: mebonnell@xxxxxxxxx (Old TV Man)
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 22:47:24 -0500

I apologize to the RCA guys but I agree with Walter about RCA's.

I would rather work on a Sanyo or Zenith.

Max Bonnell
Bonnell TV
Robinson, IL

Sender: techassist-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx From:
wwood_38478@xxxxxxxxx(walter=A0wood) Date: Wed, Jun 16, 2004, 8:36pm
(CDT-2) To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: [TechAssist] Re: PTV
Unusaul Coolant Leak - Fixed??Toshiba sucks NOT Reply=A0to:
techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Toshiba gives us less trouble than anything we sell or have ever sold.
I've had only one Toshiba to fail in warranty in over 2&1/2 years. I've
had 4 Hitachi's in that same time frame, and that's not bad either
considering the hundreds that we sell.

But, I constantly have RCA's in the shop. About the only time I see a
Toshiba is when Lightning gets them.
But anything below a 31" set is NOT built by Toshiba, and we don't sell
those.
I think that they should abandon the small set market, just because they
aren't up to Toshiba Quality anymore.
IMHO

Walter

--- Bil Green <tv.vcrrepair@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Toshiba PTV
Model 65HX81
Symptom: no power

Just finished repairing this set. It was so hard to figure where the
leak was that I thought this may help someone else (other interesting
defects found)
1. Troubleshot
2. Located and replaced open 2A circuit protector in power supply -
=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0at this time a portion of the green CRT
(picture tube) circuit
=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0board immediately started burning up
3. Examined area around green CRT and found a few drops of liquid
=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0leaking from the CRT onto the circuit board (cause of
burning).
4. Removed the green CRT/assembly - checked carefully for leaks (no
=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0longer leaking! - so obvious sign as to where
it leaked from)
5. After hours of waiting for it to leak, and more tests, a loose
=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0filler plug was found (buried under silicone sealant).
We added
=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0more coolant, tightened it (was not leaking at this
time), and
=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0sealed it with silicone sealant.
6. Repaired burnt wiring on green CRT board
7. Reinstalled green CRT/assembly
8. Adjusted convergence controls
9. Tightened loose lens wing nuts (not done properly at factory)
10. Cemented totally loose convergence adjustment tabs (another
=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0big mistake at factory)

DOES TOSHIBA SUCK OR WHAT? -

This is not the
first time I am seen
loose lens wing nuts, not to mention almost every direct view Toshiba
I see having very green grey scale. But then it is good for business.
--
Best regards,
=A0=A0=A0=A0Bil Green