[TechAssist] Re: PTV Unusaul Coolant Leak - Fixed

  • From: larry <schntv@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 09:35:31 -0400

MY opinion!
we service most all brands.
they all go bad. and it depends how many are sold in the area
  as to how many we see.
so i cant judge, as to which are more reliable.

but this is beside the point, i am a repair man and i depend
on them breaking.
the important thing is , the ease of repairing them, and the
factory support.
and last but not least, the price of the set new.

Scott Beebe wrote:
> Hello Bil,
> We see more Toshiba TV's in for warr. repairs, then ALL other brands
> combined. I think there might a good profit margin, thats why everyone sells
> them. I have not seen one yet, that I would want in my house. (10yrs ago they
> where fine) And I think "Consumer Reports" gave them a good rating, (Best
> picture quality) so all the dealers swear by them. I have not seen one yet
> without some kind of convergance/color/purity problem. .....Just my 2 cents.
>

>  Thanx,
>
> Scott Beebe
> Ohm Electronics Inc.
> 609 W. Clinton St.
> Ithaca NY 14850
> Voice: (607) 273-8406
> Fax: (607) 273-8743
> WWW.OhmElectronicsInc.com
> mailto:Scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> Wednesday, June 16, 2004, 6:44:31 PM, you wrote:
>
> Bil> Toshiba PTV
> Bil> Model 65HX81
> Bil> Symptom: no power
>
> Bil> Just finished repairing this set. It was so hard to figure where the
> Bil> leak was that I thought this may help someone else (other interesting
> Bil> defects found)
>
> Bil> 1. Troubleshot
> Bil> 2. Located and replaced open 2A circuit protector in power supply -
> Bil>    at this time a portion of the green CRT (picture tube) circuit
> Bil>    board immediately started burning up
> Bil> 3. Examined area around green CRT and found a few drops of liquid
> Bil>    leaking from the CRT onto the circuit board (cause of burning).
> Bil> 4. Removed the green CRT/assembly - checked carefully for leaks (no
> Bil>    longer leaking! - so obvious sign as to where it leaked from)
> Bil> 5. After hours of waiting for it to leak, and more tests, a loose
> Bil>    filler plug was found (buried under silicone sealant). We added
> Bil>    more coolant, tightened it (was not leaking at this time), and
> Bil>    sealed it with silicone sealant.
> Bil> 6. Repaired burnt wiring on green CRT board
> Bil> 7. Reinstalled green CRT/assembly
> Bil> 8. Adjusted convergence controls
> Bil> 9. Tightened loose lens wing nuts (not done properly at factory)
> Bil> 10. Cemented totally loose convergence adjustment tabs (another
> Bil>     big mistake at factory)
>
> Bil> DOES TOSHIBA SUCK OR WHAT? - This is not the first time I am seen
> Bil> loose lens wing nuts, not to mention almost every direct view Toshiba
> Bil> I see having very green grey scale. But then it is good for business.

Schneider TV & Electronic Inc.
5415 N. Wooster ave.
Dover, Ohio 44622       www.geocities.com/schntv2000/
330-343-0768         FCC. first class & Extra class K8WLY