[TechAssist] Re: Networking question(off topic)...

  • From: "Wayne Vanaman" <Wayne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 10:07:11 -0500

I want to add some emphasis here on Hubs and Switches.
We have five computers permanently connected, sometimes a laptop.  We use a
cable modem via a router to an 8-port switch.

I replaced my hub with a switch, and the delays went down drastically.  This
information was difficult to find:  A hub "echoes" everything to every port.
A Switch reads the destination and the information only goes there.  What
this means is when your shop database is on a networked drive, and two or
three people are surfing they do not interfere with each other.

My eight port switch cost the same amount as an eight port hub.
I'd rather switch than hub.

Wayne Vanaman
Omega Electronics
6904 W Fairfield DR.